One of our favorite EUU traditions is the moment at the Annual General Meeting when the Treasurer’s Report is projected onto the screen, and we all scratch our heads for five minutes before accepting a budget that none of us has really understood. Fortunately, our Treasurers have never steered us wrong, but complexity for complexity’s sake is not really in keeping with our democratic principles.
The main source of the problem is that while our pledge year aligns with the calendar year, our election cycle and budget run from September 1 to August 31st. At the last CC meeting, we agreed unanimously that it would make more sense for our election cycle and budget to align with our pledge year and the calendar year. So when we talk about a budget for 2019, it will actually be the budget for 2019.
In order to make this rather simple change, we need to amend our by-laws. And in order to amend our by-laws, we need to take a vote at our next AGM, which is scheduled for the EUT Gathering in Berlin. This is what the process will look like:
- At the Cologne Retreat in Fall 2018, we will hold an Extraordinary General Meeting to explain and discuss the change to the by-laws. Absentee ballots will be available for those members who won’t be able to attend the EUT Gathering in Berlin.
- At the EUT Gathering, we will hold our Annual General Meeting and formally vote on the change to the by-laws.
- At the AGM in Berlin, we will also elect a new Board, who will only serve for three months (September – December 2019) so that we can get our election cycle to align with the calendar year.
- At the Fall Retreat in 2019, we will hold our first Fall Annual General Meeting and elect the Board which will serve from January 1 – December 31, 2020.
- Moving forward, the AGM will be held at the fall retreats, which will allow us to have more comprehensible reports on our pledge drives and budgets.