Anyone who has ever been a retreat registrar can speak to the generosity of the EUU community. Members of means contribute to the Grant Fund to make our retreats more inclusive. In addition, there are countless members who contribute their time to make things happen. Social Action is no exception.
Last year we succeeded in forming an EUU Social Action Committee. The committee works together to help individual fellowships with their social action projects, as well as providing financial support to select NGOs and associations, in keeping with our UU principles. We focus on three program areas: people, planet and partnerships.
We met twice in December to decide recipients of Grant Applications and distribute the considerable FY21 Social Action budget*.
Funding Recipients 2021 Congratulations!
- Farm Forward (Food ethics, California) Founder and CEO Dr. Aaron S. Gross was the theme speaker at our Spring 2021 retreat.
- Ferme Nos Pilifs (Ethical farming, Belgium)
- Donate 4 Refugees (Refugees, UK)
- Project 6 (Prison justice, Maryland USA). Ray Burlingham-Goff’s daughter Linden, who was raised in EUU’s religious education program, is the head of operations of this NGO.
- PLAN International (Special Covid-19 appeal – girls’ equity). Thanks to EUU’s own Emilie Jarrett, who works for Plan International, for her help.
- Aliena (Refugees, women, sex workers, Basel CH) Thanks to UUB’s Sharon Marshall for applying for a grant. Aliena is an advice centre in Basel for women in sex work, especially migrants.
International Convocation of U*U Women Young UU Leaders Project (IWC & EUU). UUFP’s Beth O’Connell is the VP of the Board of Directors. This project provides inspiration and tools for young U*Us to spark commitment to social justice, activism, and change in their communities.