EUU Social Action
How to Get Involved in Social Action
If you are interested in getting involved with Social Action, there are countless ways to do so. Please share this information with your fellowships!
- Stay informed by reading the Unifier, where we feature Social Action news and projects. We also have a closed Social Action Facebook Group.
- Offer a workshop at a retreat (or simply participate in one).
- Talk to your Fellowship or Social Action Rep about your fellowship’s projects.
- Let us know about projects you’re involved in. Maybe others would like to join you. Contact us at SocialAction@
- This year’s call for proposals is still open, so if you have any ideas of worthy organizations that your fellowships are working with that need financial support, or if you have your own project, the EUU has money in the budget for this purpose. Please contact SocialAction@
europeanuu.org for a grant request form. Please see Social Action Grants in 2019 for the type of organizations and projects we supported last year.
New Social Action Program Areas!
Social Action is finally reorganizing after a lapse of almost one year of having an active Social Action Coordinator.
In the past, we have been successful in focusing on the social action efforts of individuals and individual Fellowship projects. We have not yet been effective in using social action in inter-fellowship community building, so we will focus on this in the coming year.
Social Action will concentrate on three program areas: people, planet and partnerships. We have long been generous in our focus on people and have a long established partnership with the Transylvanian Unitarians. We will now look to solicit and encourage projects having to do with protecting the planet, such as that of NUUFs participation in Friends of the Earth Europe.
Please contact us with any suggestions at SocialAction@europeanuu.org.
If you’d like to see your social action activities in the Unifier and on the website, please get in touch (SocialAction@
What Is Social Action?
The goals of EUU Social Action (SA) are to:
- Foster a culture of social engagement within the EUU;
- Encourage members to find ways to engage in Social Action projects in local, European and global communities;
- Support charitable organizations at existing and new retreat sites through Sunday collection donations collected during retreat weekends;
- Build partnerships based on service with other UU organizations and congregations;
- Serve as a central information platform and networking point for members interested in Social Action;
- Help members share information about and interests in Social Action.
A Culture of Engagement
Social Action starts with the individual. EUU Social Action would like to foster a culture of social engagement and personal development within the EUU, empowering members to find their way to action in their own communities.
One way SA can do this is to coordinate retreat and online workshops around topics of social engagement and intercultural communication. These workshops are by nature specific and participatory, with at least one element that participants can take away and implement at home.
Another important function of the SA is to help socially active members share their experiences through talks at retreats and online, Unifier articles, and maintaining a list of organizations members are currently engaged with.
Through these efforts, SA hopes to network EUU members committed to social action on an individual level to each other and to external organizations, partners and opportunities, helping to create a stronger overall effort. SA hopes to foster continuous dialogue across several platforms, create a support network for members, helping to inspire them to take action.